profile
viewpoint
Arnold Schrijver aschrijver @innercircles The Netherlands https://innercircles.community Interested in all aspects of tech especially humane apps, ethics and impact on society. Ex-lead of Humane Tech Community now dreaming to open up @innercircles

aschrijver/awesome-dat 3

A curated list of the dat data ecosystem.

aschrijver/activiti-camel-example 2

Simple example of integrating Camel with Activiti 5.16

aschrijver/awesome-peer-to-peer 1

A list of peer-to-peer resources.

aschrijver/Activiti 0

Activiti is a light-weight workflow and Business Process Management (BPM) Platform targeted at business people, developers and system admins. Its core is a super-fast and rock-solid BPMN 2 process engine for Java. It's open-source and distributed under the Apache license. Activiti runs in any Java application, on a server, on a cluster or in the cloud. It integrates perfectly with Spring, it is extremely lightweight and based on simple concepts.

aschrijver/activiti-karaf 0

Activiti in OSGi container (Apache Karaf) distribution including CLI (OSGi Karaf Commands) for BPMN management - Fork from Google Code

aschrijver/ActivityPubSchema 0

An inofficial proposal for ActivityPub - JSON Schemas (draft 07)

aschrijver/activitystreams 0

Activity Streams 2.0 Java Reference Implementation

aschrijver/ActorModel 0

An experimental Actor Model that provides a grid.

startedopenlayers/openlayers

started time in 11 hours

startedLeaflet/Leaflet

started time in 11 hours

issue commentnestjs/nest-cli

Error: Invalid JSON character: "\t" at 17:3 (@angular-devkit/core)

Yes, I can confirm. The extra comma in root tsconfig.json (not added by me, btw) causes this issue.

divanvb

comment created time in 9 days

issue commenttypeorm/typeorm

CreateDateColumn, UpdateDateColumn, VersionColumn not present in some case

@GitStorageOne wrote:

So, it's expected that when calling save method, typeorm will return at least previous object with all fields.

And I agree. You would want to have the full entity when you update based upon the save() method, right?

GitStorageOne

comment created time in 10 days

issue openedtypeorm/typeorm

Documentation does not mention errors

Issue type:

[ ] question [ ] bug report [ ] feature request [x] documentation issue

Database system/driver:

[ ] cordova [ ] mongodb [ ] mssql [ ] mysql / mariadb [ ] oracle [ ] postgres [ ] cockroachdb [ ] sqlite [ ] sqljs [ ] react-native [ ] expo

TypeORM version:

[x] latest [ ] @next [ ] 0.x.x (or put your version here)

Steps to reproduce or a small repository showing the problem:

<!-- To answer those questions you need to put "x" inside the square brackets, for example: [x] mysql [ ] postgres

Also, please format your code properly (by taking code blocks into ```ts .... ```)

--!>

Just started with TypeORM and I see there are many types of errors that are defined in the code, such as EntityNotFoundError and MongoError etcetera. The documentation does not mention what errors exist and can be expected on an API call. While some are related to misconfiguration of TypeORM and need not special mention, others deal with runtime exceptions i.e. ConnectionNotFoundError if db is down, which must be handled.

Is there separate reference to errors + error handling, or is it worthwhile to add this to the documentation?

created time in 10 days

startedFrankHassanabad/Oauth2orizeRecipes

started time in 12 days

startedlithdew/flatend

started time in 16 days

startedtobyhede/postgresql-event-sourcing

started time in 17 days

issue commenttootsuite/documentation

Mastodon documentation has a lot of broken links

Just wanted to add that in ActivityPub page, the links to Security page are broken.

The markdown doc activitypub.md however does link well to security.md (page does exist).

GroovinChip

comment created time in 20 days

issue closednestjs/nest

Nest API Reference

Feature Request

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

<!-- A clear and concise description of what the problem is. Ex. I have an issue when [...] -->

The current docs.nestjs.com describe how to use Nest, but are not an API reference (even though awesome-nest points to it as such). There is an issue from 2018 closed as Duplicate that also mention the need for quick reference API doc: https://github.com/nestjs/nest/issues/474 but I could not find others issues dealing with this.

Describe the solution you'd like

<!-- A clear and concise description of what you want to happen. Add any considered drawbacks. -->

I'd like to have a Swagger-like reference to what is in the various Nest modules as a reference while coding.

Teachability, Documentation, Adoption, Migration Strategy

<!-- If you can, explain how users will be able to use this and possibly write out a version the docs. Maybe a screenshot or design? -->

The 'API Reference' can be a menu entry in current Docs site.

What is the motivation / use case for changing the behavior?

<!-- Describe the motivation or the concrete use case. -->

Clarity, ease-of-use, overview, quick reference.

closed time in 21 days

aschrijver

issue commentnestjs/nest

Nest API Reference

Wow, that PR looks great. Didn't search in the docs repo, sorry. Thanks for pointing me there :+1:

aschrijver

comment created time in 21 days

issue openednestjs/nest

Nest API Reference

Feature Request

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

<!-- A clear and concise description of what the problem is. Ex. I have an issue when [...] -->

The current docs.nestjs.com describe how to use Nest, but are not an API reference (even though awesome-nest points to it as such). There is an issue from 2018 closed as Duplicate that also mention the need for quick reference API doc: https://github.com/nestjs/nest/issues/474 but I could not find others issues dealing with this.

Describe the solution you'd like

<!-- A clear and concise description of what you want to happen. Add any considered drawbacks. -->

I'd like to have a Swagger-like reference to what is in the various Nest modules as a reference while coding.

Teachability, Documentation, Adoption, Migration Strategy

<!-- If you can, explain how users will be able to use this and possibly write out a version the docs. Maybe a screenshot or design? -->

The 'API Reference' can be a menu entry in current Docs site.

What is the motivation / use case for changing the behavior?

<!-- Describe the motivation or the concrete use case. -->

Clarity, ease-of-use, overview, quick reference.

created time in 21 days

startedstemmlerjs/white-label

started time in 21 days

startedlabs42io/clean-code-typescript

started time in 22 days

startedstemmlerjs/clean-code-typescript

started time in 22 days

issue commentsolid/process

Improving the effectiveness of panels

Solid: A Return To KISS

(This is a copy of a forum topic I just posted, FYI)

Keep it small and simple. Solid forgot the KISS principle and now it is an interwoven mess of procedures, teams, panels, repositories, and more. Here are some ideas that appeal to me personally to simplify:

  • Have two github organizations to separate different concerns:

    • Solid: Everything that has to do with specification development, nothing more.
    • SolidProject: Everything that has to do with implementation of the specification.
  • Solid github organization has:

    • specification repository.
    • panel-discussion repository.
    • solidproject-website repository.
    • (probably some more, I didn't go through the list)
  • Solid Project website focuses on clearly explaining the spec, and what it brings to implementers.

    • Change the site look&feel from a product website to a documentation website.
    • Create accessible documentation for a broad (developer) audience, add diagrams, animations, etc.
    • Does the site need a separate staging repo? I think not.
    • Does the site need a process on top of the PR process? I think not.
    • Define a github team for Editors, have projects with a kanban board for issue tracking
    • Define templates for issues and PR's, assign clear labels for issues.
    • Kill the MIT website, or have it redirect. It is yet another confusing entrypoint to Solid initiative.
  • Panel Discussion repository squashes all panel repo's into one single location.

    • Have one top-level README to drill-down into the panel structure.
    • Have issue labels indicating to which panel the issue belongs.
    • Have teams per panel, and a project + kanban board per panel, Assign issues to panel members.
    • Update a Changelog upon closing an issue, part of Definition of Done. What was the outcome?
    • Have stalebot auto-close issues untouched for 6 months. They are probably unimportant.
    • Use the new Discussions feature of github, if you don't want to use the forum (add pointer instead).
    • Remove elaborate, overly formal Process repository. Small explainer + some bullet points suffice.
    • Could even remove issue tracker from Specification repo: all goes through panel discussion.
  • SolidProject repo contains all the various code projects.

    • Should only contain 'official' repo's (probably already does).
    • Have clear naming conventions, libs, tools, sdks, reference impls, examples, pocs, etc.
    • Archive every repo that is old an out-of-date.
    • Mention all official repo's on Solid Project website in a single page and highlight their purpose.
  • Solid initiative now consists of only 4 parts forming an onion model from outside in:

    1. Solid Project website: First point of contact, top-level entry, onboarding, facilitate early adopters.
    2. Solid Community forum: Free-form discussion, ideation, sharing insights, giving feedback.
    3. Solid Panel discussion: Formalising feedback for standardization, elaborate technical concepts.
    4. Solid Gitter channel: Active team member day-to-day chatter, hop in for quick question / feedback

Thoughts? Please join the forum discussion.

justinwb

comment created time in 22 days

startedfeednext/feednext

started time in 22 days

startedbencompton/jest-cucumber

started time in 24 days

startedRecallGraph/RecallGraph

started time in 25 days

issue commentsolid/external-interop-panel

ActivityPub SocialCG reaching out to Solid

Thanks a lot for this extensive information @csarven it is really helpful! I'll be sure to inform on the SocialHub forum where the SociaCG meetings are planned about your comment.

aschrijver

comment created time in a month

startedjuicycleff/ultimate-backend

started time in a month

issue openeddecentralized-identity/secure-data-store

Broken links in README

Both the links to Identity Hubs and Encrypted Data Vaults documents on the README.md are broken. Did some restructuring take place that I should be aware of?

created time in a month

pull request commentsolid/information

Update solid-panels.md

It's useful to have a defined group of people who have skin in the game. The question would be what defines having skin in the game?

  • Being interested in Solid because you are firmly behind the vision of The Decentralized Web.
Mitzi-Laszlo

comment created time in a month

startedPostHog/posthog

started time in a month

startedperma-id/w3id.org

started time in a month

startedassemblee-virtuelle/semapps

started time in a month

issue commentmmistakes/minimal-mistakes

Document inline images markdown URL syntax

not stale

aschrijver

comment created time in a month

startedjuliandavidmr/awesome-nestjs

started time in a month

startedgrid-js/gridjs

started time in a month

startedpmarsceill/just-the-docs

started time in a month

startedCommonCoreOntology/CommonCoreOntologies

started time in a month

issue commentLemmyNet/lemmy

Consider FEDERATION.md convention

The discussion is ongoing, and there are various perspectives on what is the best approach, so it could be a good place to let Lemmy's voice be heard. I transferred the above 3 bullet points to the thread as a FYI.

aschrijver

comment created time in a month

issue openedLemmyNet/lemmy

Consider FEDERATION.md convention

On SocialHub a sort of informal convention was adopted for describing the federation behavior of AP implementations. Currently there are about 5 (AFAIK) impls that already did so. Consider creating one as well.

Refer to: Documenting federation behavior in a semi-standard way

I saw Activitypub API outline which is already great, and federation description will be very valuable additional info.

Particularly relevant to Lemmy is e.g. the discussion on Groups implementation and then knowing how Lemmy's approach to Groups is. (Note: Based on that discussion you might want to make changes to how it works, for compat reasons).

created time in a month

issue openedsolid/external-interop-panel

ActivityPub SocialCG reaching out to Solid

Look at this forum post: https://forum.solidproject.org/t/socialcg-meetup-on-solid-activitypub/3028

ActivityPub SocialCG has Solid on the agenda for a while, but so far no one from solid interested. This is spec level discussion and compat with the fediverse.

Next meeting is 2nd Saturday in June (all meetings on 2nd Sat each month).

created time in a month

starteddenoland/deno

started time in a month

startedryansolid/solid

started time in a month

issue commentsolid/process

Improving the effectiveness of panels

FYI: This is also a new topic of forum discussion: https://forum.solidproject.org/t/communication-with-panels/3135

justinwb

comment created time in a month

startedgoldbergyoni/nodebestpractices

started time in a month

startedframeworkless-movement/manifesto

started time in a month

issue commentsolid/process

Improving the effectiveness of panels

Related: do we expect discourse in forums to flow back into the panels? Are any forum members taking on that task?

There are Discourse plugins that facilitate 2-way interaction automatically (also mentioned on the forum discussion re:panels).

justinwb

comment created time in a month

startedzadam/trilium

started time in a month

starteddckc/awesome-ocap

started time in a month

issue commentsolid/Explaining-the-Vision-Panel

There is no clarity on the scope of Solid

FYI I ended my forum discussion with this:

I will finish my discussion on this topic. All I am saying is that Solid is giving all kinds of impressions, depending on your entrypoint, skill level, expertise and background. And that is not a good thing. I am both a tech guy and a product owner, and I could deep-dive the tech until all of this felt natural and not think about it anymore. But all the feedback in this thread I gave from product owner perspective.

In a way I feel real bad to be nit-picking so much about terminology and perceptions of the Solid project, but on the other hand I think most people that are deeply involved here realize too little how the project is perceived by the outside world.

There is so much complex technical work to do, that this has led to a kind of inward gaze, where there is only little outreach to other initiatives. I see that very clearly in e.g. the ActivityPub vs. Solid outreach where the fediverse people are trying to coordinate work and evolve more closely aligned & together.

Imho Solid Project should grab these opportunities, each and every one of them and give maximum follow-up. They are very important to bring the Solid vision across to a broader audience. Now in the fediverse some developers already ditched the JSON-LD compliance of the AP spec and are proponents to go with plain JSON for the entire future fediverse. That would be really bad.

I gave a quick peek at the activity stats of the forum in the last month. About 55 users commented, from whom plus-minus 20-30 can be considered frequent visitors. That is not much for a project with such grand vision (if I take the bigger variant I read about in some Solid articles). Grow this community, folks :blush:

Thanks for all your feedback :pray:

aschrijver

comment created time in a month

issue commentsolid/Explaining-the-Vision-Panel

There is no clarity on the scope of Solid

Copying here from the forum thread, for completeness:


Thank you @james. And thanks too @jeffz such kind of list bring clarity and should be on the For Developers page as feature / vision cards, with a dril-down to specifics and some diagrams clearly showing how it all sticks together.

So my 2 bullet points correspond to your 1) and 3) and then you get 6) as a natural result of that - as I read it - or are there additional chunks of functionality in that filter that are scope extending? I see bullet 2) assigning meaning, as a precondition to Solid, but it is not one that needs an entire semantic web... I could apply Solid in any bounded context where you have that.

Bullet point 4) and 5) are real scope expanders! Both are, to me, nice-to-haves compared with 1), 3). Question is if 4) and 5) are being worked on to the detriment of progress in the 'core features'? And to what extend can I use these features in isolation?

I recommend reading the paper of the 'competing' standards-effort on Encrypted Data Vaults presented at Rebooting the Web of Trust, Prague. It makes a comparison of existing approaches, including Solid, and builds that out to requirements + architecture etc.

Regarding 4) they give this clear description:

"In the case of Solid, NextCloud, and Identity Hubs, end users have the option of installing and running the server portion of the data store on a device they control, or signing up to an already configured instance hosted by a trusted third-party (eg. a commercial provider, affiliated institution, or friend)."

Aha! This insight is not easy to be had in the Solid world, and before that you will be so confused with 'Apps' and all the complexity of 4) and 5) being discussed, that you probably miss it.

I would urge Solid to use different terminology than 'Apps'!

What I would like to see for solidproject.org content strategy to communicate its message is:

  1. This is in layman's terms the crystal-clear elevator pitch and bullet points of what Solid adds to the existing linked data web

    1. This is the intuitive roadmap that we follow to bring this to you
    2. Drilling down on each of the bullet points will lead you progressively to the nitty-gritty details
    3. This is the process that we follow, and the parties that are involved and their roles and responsibilities.
    4. We have a commercial, business-driven side, and we are starting to support a more open community-driven side which we want to be closely evolved in the evolution of Solid. (We recognize that until now we spent less attention to the OSS and free software movement, but that will change).
  2. Standardization of all of this is our primary concern. This is why Solid exists.

    1. Our goal is for all this to become a natural part of the future web
    2. Until web-scale adoption is reached here are the use cases where you can already benefit from this
    3. Here are the exact interdependencies between our specs and components, and here are the places where our specs are not places and which you should avoid or expect frequent changes.
    4. This is the complete overview of how Solid relates to other initiatives: how they overlap, and how they are complementary, and what our cooperation efforts are.
  3. To help guide us and guide our community of implementers we are building an ecosystem around the standards

    1. In this ecosystem we make specific technology choices, like JS-based techstack, but the Solid standards are for any techstack
    2. Here are our reference implementations, here are our example applications and here are our community-driven projects
  4. Here's our community of friends that help us in our quest

    1. And this is the way to come aboard, where we gladly welcome you, to help the community to be more than just a forum.
    2. Here are the exciting community plans and we'll leave it to them to guide you through it (community independence).

A bit tangential to this topic..

In general I find the approach of RWOT more appealing, because of a) pure focus on standardization without confusing mix of impl/ecosystem building, b) they seem to take a broader perspective than the more of a 'this is how the web should be' approach of Solid, and this reflects well on c) the standards they are creating which I not only find quite exciting (and well documented), they are also closer on the W3C standardization track.

Luckily I got a satisfying answer that Solid is aware and cooperating with RWOT and considering adding support for said standards.

For instance in Proposal: Support Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) in addition to Web IDs, where @codenamedmitri also mentions "Inrupt, as well as the Solid community, should join the DID WG!" and Project: Support W3C Verifiable Credentials on Solid.

aschrijver

comment created time in a month

issue commentsolid/Explaining-the-Vision-Panel

There is no clarity on the scope of Solid

I refer to the forum to follow the discussion. Too much copy / pasting otherwise.

  • https://forum.solidproject.org/t/solid-scope-and-ecosystem/3100
aschrijver

comment created time in a month

issue commentsolid/Explaining-the-Vision-Panel

There is no clarity on the scope of Solid

Not an elevator pitch but a solid summary:

Solid is two things:

  1. A roaming identity that you can use anywhere on the web
  2. A means to free your personal data from any internet application

This derived from solidproject.org website. And I'd say that 1) is already an unnecessary scope expansion, as there are a bunch of other standards bodies working on this.

How I see Solid in that light is as:

  • The interface boundary where my personal data is separated from the web.
  • Providing the access layer for the outside world.
  • Where I can fine-tune what is accessible (and maybe bind that to rules, policies and other logic to automate that).

Is that on the mark or not?

aschrijver

comment created time in a month

startedsemantalytics/awesome-semantic-web

started time in a month

issue closedsolid/external-interop-panel

Solid and Rebooting the Web of Trust

Just leaving this out here as a copy of my forum post (heard the forum is not really used by 'core team' members). I am no expert in this field, but just interested where Solid fits in..


You are probably familiar with RWOT initiative. In RWOT4 Paris and RWOT5 Boston there have been mentions of WebID and in RWOT9 Prague SolidVC by @kezike was presented.

I was wondering how Solid sees itself in relation to this initiative, especially since I read the following in the cancelled (corona) RWOT10 papers:

The Linked Data community has also developed a personal identity mechanism on top of HTTP for that purpose, combining it with some authentication mechanism based on certificates, called WebID.

However, the problems with HTTP based personal identification are known and were among the main issues leading to the DID work: decentralization, persistency, or authentication/verifiability. I.e., DID should become an alternative to HTTP based identifications on the Semantic Web, too; but that can only happen if the four principles of Linked Data, as quoted above, can be upgraded to the DID case as well. What exactly happens if one replaces the term “HTTP” with “DID” in these four statements?

(A side issue: WebID did not really “made it” as a personal ID even among people who are not driven away by the Semantic Web. Personally, I believe one of the reasons is the extreme unfriendliness of all setups, creations, management, etc., of certificates, which is at the heart of WebID. This should be a warning to all things DID: there should be very user-friendly tools around very quickly to allow for everyday users to use this; technology is not enough…)

PS. Though I really like the idea of self-sovereign identity I have misgivings about the role of blockchain in some (not all) of the solution being worked on.

PS2. Note that ActivityPub is also represented in various RWOT papers, and discussion here looks at how AP and Solid can be combined. And in this field too there is a shared problem to solve.

closed time in a month

aschrijver

issue commentsolid/external-interop-panel

Solid and Rebooting the Web of Trust

Yes, completely, thank you very much!

aschrijver

comment created time in a month

startedmarkdown-it/markdown-it

started time in a month

startednoocene/protocol

started time in a month

issue openedsolid/external-interop-panel

Solid and Rebooting the Web of Trust

Just leaving this out here as a copy of my forum post (heard the forum is not really used by 'core team' members). I am no expert in this field, but just interested where Solid fits in..


You are probably familiar with RWOT initiative. In RWOT4 Paris and RWOT5 Boston there have been mentions of WebID and in RWOT9 Prague SolidVC by @kezike was presented.

I was wondering how Solid sees itself in relation to this initiative, especially since I read the following in the cancelled (corona) RWOT10 papers:

The Linked Data community has also developed a personal identity mechanism on top of HTTP for that purpose, combining it with some authentication mechanism based on certificates, called WebID.

However, the problems with HTTP based personal identification are known and were among the main issues leading to the DID work: decentralization, persistency, or authentication/verifiability. I.e., DID should become an alternative to HTTP based identifications on the Semantic Web, too; but that can only happen if the four principles of Linked Data, as quoted above, can be upgraded to the DID case as well. What exactly happens if one replaces the term “HTTP” with “DID” in these four statements?

(A side issue: WebID did not really “made it” as a personal ID even among people who are not driven away by the Semantic Web. Personally, I believe one of the reasons is the extreme unfriendliness of all setups, creations, management, etc., of certificates, which is at the heart of WebID. This should be a warning to all things DID: there should be very user-friendly tools around very quickly to allow for everyday users to use this; technology is not enough…)

PS. Though I really like the idea of self-sovereign identity I have misgivings about the role of blockchain in some (not all) of the solution being worked on.

PS2. Note that ActivityPub is also represented in various RWOT papers, and discussion here looks at how AP and Solid can be combined. And in this field too there is a shared problem to solve.

created time in a month

issue openedsolid/authorization-and-access-control-panel

Solid and Rebooting the Web of Trust

Just leaving this out here as a copy of my forum post (heard the forum is not really used 'core team' members). I am no expert in this field, but just interested where Solid fits in..


You are probably familiar with RWOT initiative. In RWOT4 Paris and RWOT5 Boston there have been mentions of WebID and in RWOT9 Prague SolidVC by @kezike was presented.

I was wondering how Solid sees itself in relation to this initiative, especially since I read the following in the cancelled (corona) RWOT10 papers:

The Linked Data community has also developed a personal identity mechanism on top of HTTP for that purpose, combining it with some authentication mechanism based on certificates, called WebID.

However, the problems with HTTP based personal identification are known and were among the main issues leading to the DID work: decentralization, persistency, or authentication/verifiability. I.e., DID should become an alternative to HTTP based identifications on the Semantic Web, too; but that can only happen if the four principles of Linked Data, as quoted above, can be upgraded to the DID case as well. What exactly happens if one replaces the term “HTTP” with “DID” in these four statements?

(A side issue: WebID did not really “made it” as a personal ID even among people who are not driven away by the Semantic Web. Personally, I believe one of the reasons is the extreme unfriendliness of all setups, creations, management, etc., of certificates, which is at the heart of WebID. This should be a warning to all things DID: there should be very user-friendly tools around very quickly to allow for everyday users to use this; technology is not enough…)

PS. Though I really like the idea of self-sovereign identity I have misgivings about the role of blockchain in some (not all) of the solution being worked on.

PS2. Note that ActivityPub is also represented in various RWOT papers, and discussion here looks at how AP and Solid can be combined.

created time in a month

issue commentsolid/process

Improving the effectiveness of panels

Sure, if watching the spec is your usecase. If watching the panels is your use case you first need to find out about their existence in 'process' repo, or navigate the org's repo's where you find some on page 4 or 5. Also 'panes' and 'panels' are nearly the same words. You could easily confuse panels for code repo's if you are not familiar with Solid project structures.

Some more ideas:

Walls of text and formality

The process website is an entrypoint to many things solid, including panels. It leads you through walls of text and takes a newbie an hour to figure out. The text is needed, that's understandable. But may you could provide more overview by adding collapsible regions to them

<details><summary><b>Vision Panel Organization</b></summary> <p>

Source

This gist

yes, even hidden code blocks!

print("hello world!")

</p> </details>

Github teams and projects

I am surprised that you are not using these features github offers. They seem to me the perfect way to address the original bullet points of this issue. They even added discussions recently, if you don't want to use the solid forum for that (which according to @csarven is indeed the case).

justinwb

comment created time in a month

startedinterop-alliance/life-server

started time in a month

issue commentsolid/Explaining-the-Vision-Panel

There is no clarity on the scope of Solid

When I look at Solid with an outsiders eye - and today I did that again going through the repo setup - I see:

  • Yes, a spec
  • But mostly a javascript-based techstack

In no way do I get the impression that this is important for the future of the web.

There are 1,000's of JS-flavoured ecosystems. Somewhere you need to make sure that the spec is all-important. The solidproject.org website also does not do this. You are just one in a million such websites.

In the past I gave more feedback related to this positioning in my forum posts.

aschrijver

comment created time in a month

issue commentsolid/process

Improving the effectiveness of panels

I have been looking at the GH repository organization of Solid, and frankly I find them an intimidating mess.

I strongly advise bringing more structure to it to make it easier for people to be on the same page.

One suggestion is to create multiple solid-related GH organizations, e.g. a solid-labs where only the spec + panels + related docs can be found.

Then maybe a solid-ecosystem with solid-ui and panes and supporting projects.

So that in solid you only have core projects, website, process, core docs.

Well, you get the idea. You probably can do much better than my try above 😄

justinwb

comment created time in a month

issue commentsolid/process

Discussing solid community perceptions and structure

If you have thoughts or suggestions on how we do this, it'd be great to hear them (lets continue to use this thread for that).

Or... do that on the forum. Maybe not in topic "This forum should be central to Solid community, and not Gitter" where @scenaristeur already made a proposal, but in a fresh topic without the prior Gitter-related history to it.

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentsolid/process

Discussing solid community perceptions and structure

Thank you. Yes, the forum seems the best tool to bring the most people on the same page in terms of communication and exchange of ideas. That includes not only the highly to moderately active ones, but anyone active in other fields following Solid with interest.

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

issue openedsolid/Explaining-the-Vision-Panel

There is no clarity on the scope of Solid

Sorry, this was already posted on a forum (and I learned just now that that is not really the place to expect follow-up). The whole thread is vision-related imho, but I just refer to my comment of today: Is Solid primarily a privacy platform or an app platform.

If there is value in what I say, then I probably need to create more of these issues, as I have been posting them to that forum for some time (thinking it a central community hub) and got no real in-depth response other than from random members.

(PS. No response to me is required anymore, I was just trying to be helpful and improve the Solid movement)

created time in 2 months

issue openedsolid/process

Discussing solid community perceptions and structure

This issue is in response of @csarven in https://github.com/solid/process/issues/202#issuecomment-630273205

That's a lot of things to answer :)

  • My expection: an open well-oiled community is forming (don't know if that was the intention)
  • 'Adequate engagement': if the forum is just seen as supplementary thing for some members, and core members leave their info all over the web, then that probably explains much of that feeling.
    • I think its important for this to be more clearly communicated to the people interacting there!
  • Forum: yes, I am also not suggesting having documentation there, but in github (wiki posts could be used for temporary stuff), the forum excels at communication over longer times when not everyone is 'live', and also as an archive of such communication (via search, not on archive.org unfortunately I see)
  • Talking anywhere: that fragmentation also makes it harder to find those panels, keep the structure, and have interested outsiders get involved. I think people who are not Solid full-timers need a place to get overview of current status.
  • Github/Gitter: as described above my Github is already incredibly crowded. I'd need to add, say 40-50 solid repo's and monitor them, but I'm no full-timer too. Most interested how Solid fits with ActivityPub. Same for gitter which is for real-time chat, mostly for fulltimers, or people that do a quick jump in now and then to ask a question. I'm not going to have a gitter window open all the time.
  • Core team on the forum: Yes, when there are relevant, more thorough discussions that can't be handled in a quick chat. But aforementioned chat integration plugin would do the trick probably for you to judge by notifications when that is needed.

created time in 2 months

issue commentsolid/process

Improving the effectiveness of panels

That's a lot of things to answer :)

  • My expection: an open well-oiled community is forming (don't know if that was the intention)
  • 'Adequate engagement': if the forum is just seen as supplementary thing for some members, and core members leave their info all over the web, then that probably explains much of that feeling.
    • I think its important for this to be more clearly communicated to the people interacting there!
  • Forum: yes, I am also not suggesting having documentation there, but in github (wiki posts could be used for temporary stuff), the forum excels at communication over longer times when not everyone is 'live', and also as an archive of such communication (via search, not on archive.org unfortunately I see)
  • Talking anywhere: that fragmentation also makes it harder to find those panels, keep the structure, and have interested outsiders get involved. I think people who are not Solid full-timers need a place to get overview of current status.
  • Github/Gitter: as described above my Github is already incredibly crowded. I'd need to add, say 40-50 solid repo's and monitor them, but I'm no full-timer too. Most interested how Solid fits with ActivityPub. Same for gitter which is for real-time chat, mostly for fulltimers, or people that do a quick jump in now and then to ask a question. I'm not going to have a gitter window open all the time.
  • Core team on the forum: Yes, when there are relevant, more thorough discussions that can't be handled in a quick chat. But aforementioned chat integration plugin would do the trick probably for you to judge by notifications when that is needed.
justinwb

comment created time in 2 months

startedcoderbyheart/open-source-meetup-alternatives

started time in 2 months

issue commentsolid/process

Improving the effectiveness of panels

The issue @sideshowtom just sliced may be a bit off-topic, but it comes from a feeling that there is a bit of an engagement problem between core team(s) where the real action is, and the places where the community resides. This has been discussed on the forum in relation to Gitter, but it also holds for the Panels.

Having so many repo's feels fragmented. If I want to keep up-to-date I'd have to Follow all of them.. but I am already following many dozens of projects. 1,000's of activities in github. That is untenable. So I would need to be either very dedicated, or just check now and then overlook stuff.

Both Github and the Discourse forum are not the perfect tools. Weren't the panels in the forum before? Not well enough organized maybe. I think user engagement would benefit if they were there again. At least for the first 2 and maybe the last bullet point of @justinwb and the community being more in touch again + core team members also on the forum more often.

You can look at SocialHub for an example:

  • Official panel members are part of a Group
  • The group owner is the Chair
  • Create category (maybe 1 called 'Panels') and subcategories for each panel
  • The special category pages (1st pinned post) hold the instructions and organization details
  • Important topics are pinned (you can time how long)
  • For documentation drafts and collaborative editing you use wiki posts
  • For 'resolving issues' you use that feature, and can then mark any post as the chosen solution
  • Create polls to reach agreement, make democratic decisions
  • [Many more standard Discourse features]
  • Plus you can have 2-way connectivity to github repo's via Discourse plugins
    • Use the repo's for 'finalized' stuff an rendering of html spec docs + code
    • PR's become posts on the forum at the right place
    • Add the repo's to the context menu of the forum (other plugin)
  • Use plugin to have a glossary of terminology that is automatically marked up in all texts
  • Lastly, if you didn't have Gitter showing forum activity install chatroom integration plugin
justinwb

comment created time in 2 months

startedglensimister/devolution

started time in 2 months

issue commentmmistakes/minimal-mistakes

Exclude pages from search engines

Don't forget that robots.txt and sitemap.xml need to act in unison. From https://moz.com/blog/xml-sitemaps:

One of the most common mistakes I see clients make is to lack consistency in the messaging to Google about a given page. If you block a page in robots.txt and then include it in an XML sitemap, you’re being a tease. "Here, Google... a nice, juicy page you really ought to index," your sitemap says. But then your robots.txt takes it away. Same thing with meta robots: Don’t include a page in an XML sitemap and then set meta robots "noindex,follow."

stsrki

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentbenweet/stackedit

Add option for parsing with kramdown

Support would be great. Kramdown is often used with static site generators (like Jekyll) with the downside that non-technical people find it hard to make site updates (i.e. have to learn git, PR's, etc.)

Daniel-Hug

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentbenweet/stackedit

synchronize local git

+1 that would be great. I use a self-hosted Gitea server too, and use codeberg.org which is also a gitea instance.

berot3

comment created time in 2 months

startedbenbusby/whoogle-search

started time in 2 months

startedvalueflows/valueflows

started time in 2 months

issue closedmmistakes/minimal-mistakes

The og_image URL does not include the base URL

<!-- Before opening a new issue please:

  • Verify you have the latest versions of Jekyll and Minimal Mistakes installed by running bundle update.
  • Thoroughly read the theme's documentation at https://mmistakes.github.io/minimal-mistakes/docs/quick-start-guide/
  • Search all issues at https://github.com/mmistakes/minimal-mistakes/issues for solutions and to avoid duplication.
  • Ask for help at http://talk.jekyllrb.com/

After exhausting these suggestions use the format below. -->

Environment

<!-- Please include theme version, Jekyll version, public git repository, whether you are hosting with GitHub Pages, and the operating system you tested with.

Issues without a link to a public repository or ZIP file will likely go ignored. Being able to see your actual files is necessary to troubleshoot, as most issues stem from invalid/missing YAML Front Matter, a mis-configured _config.sys file, or problematic site content. -->

  • Minimal Mistakes version: v4.13.0
  • Ruby gem or remote theme version:
  • Jekyll version: v4.0.0
  • Git repository URL: (not yet public)
  • GitHub Pages hosted (if yes provide URL to site): no (codeberg.org)
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04

Expected behavior

<!-- What is it you expected to happen? This should be a description of how the functionality you tried to use is supposed to work. -->

The og_image should take site.baseurl into account.

Steps to reproduce the behavior

<!-- Describe the steps you took for this problem to exist. Such as: you installed the theme, customized _config.yml, added your own posts, and started up a Jekyll server locally.

If an error occurred on GitHub Pages when pushing, please test a local version following these setup instructions: https://help.github.com/articles/setting-up-your-github-pages-site-locally-with-jekyll/

Then provide a complete log by running bundle exec jekyll build --trace --verbose and include this output in the filed issue.

Screenshots can also be included if they help illustrate a behavior. -->

In my page (splash layout) frontmatter I set an og_image like so:

header:
  overlay_image: /assets/images/my-landingpage-hero.png
  og_image: /assets/images/my-page-ogimage.png

In _config.yml the site has a site.baseurl of "mybaseurl":

baseurl                  : "/mybaseurl" # the subpath of your site, e.g. "/blog"

The hero image URL is constructed correctly in page__hero.html include, but the opengraph image is not. It is set to an absolute url in seo.html include which does not take the base URL into account.

closed time in 2 months

aschrijver

issue commentmmistakes/minimal-mistakes

The og_image URL does not include the base URL

Ah, I see that the problem is on a different level. First of all the Link preview generator of Discourse forum, where I pasted the site link, probably uses a cache and used an earlier URL that had no baseurl prefix.

The generated HTML in _site is indeed correctly including site.baseurl. However because I until now didn't have the url set in config (because I still manually copy/paste _site contents to multiple locations) the absolute URL started with https://localhost:4000/.

Sorry to have bothered you with this @iBug but thanks a lot for your responses!

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

issue openedmmistakes/minimal-mistakes

The og_image URL does not include the base URL

<!-- Before opening a new issue please:

  • Verify you have the latest versions of Jekyll and Minimal Mistakes installed by running bundle update.
  • Thoroughly read the theme's documentation at https://mmistakes.github.io/minimal-mistakes/docs/quick-start-guide/
  • Search all issues at https://github.com/mmistakes/minimal-mistakes/issues for solutions and to avoid duplication.
  • Ask for help at http://talk.jekyllrb.com/

After exhausting these suggestions use the format below. -->

Environment

<!-- Please include theme version, Jekyll version, public git repository, whether you are hosting with GitHub Pages, and the operating system you tested with.

Issues without a link to a public repository or ZIP file will likely go ignored. Being able to see your actual files is necessary to troubleshoot, as most issues stem from invalid/missing YAML Front Matter, a mis-configured _config.sys file, or problematic site content. -->

  • Minimal Mistakes version: v4.13.0
  • Ruby gem or remote theme version:
  • Jekyll version: v4.0.0
  • Git repository URL: (not yet public)
  • GitHub Pages hosted (if yes provide URL to site): no (codeberg.org)
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04

Expected behavior

<!-- What is it you expected to happen? This should be a description of how the functionality you tried to use is supposed to work. -->

The og_image should take site.baseurl into account.

Steps to reproduce the behavior

<!-- Describe the steps you took for this problem to exist. Such as: you installed the theme, customized _config.yml, added your own posts, and started up a Jekyll server locally.

If an error occurred on GitHub Pages when pushing, please test a local version following these setup instructions: https://help.github.com/articles/setting-up-your-github-pages-site-locally-with-jekyll/

Then provide a complete log by running bundle exec jekyll build --trace --verbose and include this output in the filed issue.

Screenshots can also be included if they help illustrate a behavior. -->

In my page (splash layout) frontmatter I set an og_image like so:

header:
  overlay_image: /assets/images/my-landingpage-hero.png
  og_image: /assets/images/my-page-ogimage.png

In _config.yml the site has a site.baseurl of "mybaseurl":

baseurl                  : "/mybaseurl" # the subpath of your site, e.g. "/blog"

The hero image URL is constructed correctly in page__hero.html include, but the opengraph image is not. It is set to an absolute url in seo.html include which does not take the base URL into account.

created time in 2 months

startedfrappe/books

started time in 2 months

startedwriteas/pherephone

started time in 2 months

issue commentsindresorhus/awesome

Just launced the 'delightful' project, inspired by awesome

Thanks. Yes, I realize that 😄

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentgo-gitea/gitea

[Feature] Migration Issues to existing Repo

Thanks for your suggestions, @6543

6543

comment created time in 2 months

issue openedsindresorhus/awesome

Just launced the 'delightful' project, inspired by awesome

@sindresorhus hi Sindre,

I created this issue to let you know that - inspired by awesome project - I just launched an adaptation, called the delightful project: collecting gems of freedom :gem:

It is hosted on Codeberg. The variation lies in the fact that only free, non-commercial and humanetech entries will be allowed to exist in the various curated lists. So - more or less - freedom is the theme, and the primary audience are those on the alternative web (fediverse et al).

In the project I give - I think - due credit to you, and this great project. But you judge for yourself.. the project is at this location:

https://codeberg.org/teaserbot-labs/delightful

created time in 2 months

issue commentgo-gitea/gitea

[Feature] Migration Issues to existing Repo

@guillep2k you mean within the same host server? I want to migrate from a local self-hosted gitea to a remote gitea (hosted at codeberg.org).

6543

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentgo-gitea/gitea

[Feature] Migration Issues to existing Repo

Thanks for the suggestion. Taking a quick peek at the code, I think it is insufficient.

6543

comment created time in 2 months

startedvuejs/vue

started time in 2 months

issue commentgo-gitea/gitea

[Feature] Migration Issues to existing Repo

My use case is as follows: I've been developing a website on my local self-hosted gitea instance, and soon I want to migrate it to codeberg.org. But all the commits I have made thus far contain reference to issue ID's in the message line. A simple push of the repo to the new origin at codeberg would create a mess with wrong commits showing up on the various issues, both open and closed. The only option I see now is to manually fully recreate the issues I have locally atm.

6543

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentmmistakes/minimal-mistakes

Document inline images markdown URL syntax

That is a good question :) Maybe in the Sample Posts section there can be a page 'Markup: Inline images with baseUrl set' or something similar.

But it can also be in 'Utility Classes' as there is already a sort of presentation of the styleguide of the template. The examples of Image Alignment there have the same issue, if a 'baseUrl' is set. A good place for a notice block or separate paragraph, maybe.

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentmmistakes/minimal-mistakes

Document inline images markdown URL syntax

Yes, you are right, but.. The beauty of the documentation that comes with this theme is that one doesn't have to know much about Jekyll to get started right away and only type away in markdown. And the documentation gives some explainers about e.g. adding css classes to that, so it might fit there.

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

issue openedmmistakes/minimal-mistakes

Document inline images markdown URL syntax

<!-- Thanks for taking the time to open an issue and help make the docs better -->

Motivation

<!-- Why should we update our docs? -->

I have a site where the staging location has a site.baseurl and the live version has not. While working with inline images I found - by looking at the mmistakes codebase, could not discover instruction in the docs - that instead of this:

![my image](/assets/images/my-image.png)

I have to write the markdown like this in order to work when a baseUrl is set:

![my image]({{ "/assets/images/my-image.png" | relative_url }})

<!-- What should we do instead? -->

Suggestion

<!-- What should we do instead? -->

This should be added to the documentation somewhere. I tried to find it, but could not. Sorry if I overlooked it somehow.

created time in 2 months

issue commentkantord/LibreLingo

Consider having a Fediverse presence

Yes, it is related. Look at other blogging projects that are already federating with ActivityPub: https://git.feneas.org/feneas/fediverse/-/wikis/watchlist-for-activitypub-apps#blog-publishing-and-reading-apps

decentral1se

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentloomio/loomio

Login not possible. Bug on the website?

Thank you! I came upon another good captcha provider the other day via Hacker News. Commercial company, but more privacy-focused and not an ads moloch.

https://www.hcaptcha.com/

It was actually Cloudflare that made the switch to it. See: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22812509

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

startedAly-ve/Mastodon-share-button

started time in 2 months

issue commentloomio/loomio

Login not possible. Bug on the website?

Oh, I must be really stupid, because I forgot my Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin I have active at both places. Sorry for that 😳 but they just never give me trouble and thus are out of my sight.

Disabling both, and I am now logged in. Now to figure out which cookie to enable. There are maybe too many of them on Loomio I kindly suggest (am very strict with them on my system, and as admin of [Humane Tech Community](https://community.humanetech com) also not a fan + avoiding tech monopolies, like Google, as much as I possibly can).

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentloomio/loomio

Login not possible. Bug on the website?

There was another issue from mobile - maybe related - where, if you the login popup (cross on right-hand side) then you get to the UI for logged in users (so without actually having logged in). When clicking Profile on the menu - logically - a stuck load screen is all what happens in the main menu.

Screenshot_20200426-151149_Firefox

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

issue commentloomio/loomio

Login not possible. Bug on the website?

It is on Loomio..

aschrijver

comment created time in 2 months

starteddecentralized-identity/universal-resolver

started time in 2 months

starteddecentralized-identity/did-jwt

started time in 2 months

issue openedloomio/loomio

Login not possible. Bug on the website?

I tried logging in by email both on Android and Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) and the 'Create Account' button is dysfunctional.. it does nothing. Both times I tried this using the latest version of Firefox for these respective platforms.

created time in 2 months

startedmicrosolidarity/handbook

started time in 2 months

issue commentkantord/LibreLingo

federation of social features through ActivityPub

Heads up, as this is on the agenda of the next SocialCG meeting.

wakest

comment created time in 2 months

startedscenaristeur/agora

started time in 3 months

startedclaudiodangelis/qrcp

started time in 3 months

more